Common sense tells us that taking a walk outdoors in nature provides an immediate boost in mood. Science concurs with common sense in this: walking is beneficial to health by aiding in weight loss, improving circulation and increasing our sense of well-being. When scientists study people with depression, they note that walking lessens the depression and strengthens our feeling that all is well with the world.
When youâ€™re feeling down and out, itâ€™s tough to make yourself get up off the couch and go for a walk, but thatâ€™s just what you need. Walking out in nature (more…)
Below are 10 reasons you should go for a walk today.
1. Enjoy the season. All seasons bring invigorating weather, and a walk outside helps you appreciate them.
2. Rediscover your neighborhood. Walking allows you to catch the things you miss while riding in a car.
3. Give your eyes a break. Walking outside allows your eyes to relax from the strain of looking at up-close objects.
4. Get your blood pumping. Walking can help you avoid or control certain heart conditions.
5. Take this time to bond with loved ones. Reconnect with your mate, teach younger children about their environment, or discuss (more…)
Recently researchers have been looking at obesity-related genes and the effect that either sitting still watching TV or brisk walking has on those genes. The researchers studied over 12,000 men and women and found that watching TV for two hours a day increases the effects of the obesity-related genes by 25 percent. On the other hand, people who walked briskly for one hour a day halved the genes’ effect.
While walking may not be THE cure for obesity, it certainly (more…)
It is a fact that skinny jeans are still a fashionable part of any outfit. The problem is that it also makes it hard to hide any flaws and can make individuals feel self-conscious. Fortunately, walking is a gentle and easy way to shed those extra pounds and feel great.
The best way to start an exercise routine that focuses on walking is by starting slow. Take a walk around the block with a friend or spend a few minutes walking in a local park. Focus on getting up and walking rather (more…)
There are several reasons that you should consider walking on a regular basis. Walking helps you burn calories. In fact, if you walk for 30 minutes at a brisk pace, then you can burn over 150 calories. That may not seem like a lot of calories, but it can really add up over time. You will be able to maintain a healthy body weight if you walk on a regular basis.
Walking helps reduce your risk of heart disease. If (more…)